The Shaka Franklin Foundation for Youth
- Founded in 1990 to address the serious problem of youth suicide in the United States and the world.
- Distribution of brochures to schools, churches, youth groups – “Understanding Depression” and “Coping With Grief” geared towards youth.
- Distribution of the “Purple Ribbon Card” with warning signs of suicide and depression
- Over 2,000 presentations on suicide, depression, self destructive behavior and positive alternatives.
- Counseled with many young people to encourage them to survive, thrive & pursue their dreams.
- Created Shaka’s Place Youth Technology Center, an educational & creative place.
- Currently renovating a second building at Shaka’s Place location to extend youth programs and training.
- Started SHAKA I.C.E.(Inner City Edge) a development program for ice hockey and figure skating.
- Sponsor of a midget AAA ice hockey team in based in Colorado Springs.
- Sponsorship of figure skaters in need of assistance.
- 320 acre ranch in Westcliffe, Colorado to be developed into a retreat for youth.
- Recipient of the El Pomar Foundation Outstanding Youth Organization Award in 1998.
- Recipient of The El Pomar Foundation Shrine of the Sun Award of Excellence in 2001.
- In 2007 Established an international branch in Johannesburg, South Africa, feeding 540 students daily
- Established a partnership in 2007 with Streets On Fire School of Fine Arts & Technology to expand their vision and training at Shaka’s Place.
- In 2007 Established partnership with InsituDesign Architecture & University of Colorado Graduate School of Architecture to re-build Tarlton Intermediate School in South Africa.